Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Hope in the Unknown

I realized something today...


I don't know what is going to happen to me tomorrow.
Or the next day.
Or the next day.
Or the next day.

In all honesty, I don't even know if I'll wake up tomorrow.

I certainly hope I will, but that's beside the point.

I am completely oblivious to everything that will happen in the future. I could accidentally run into a wall tomorrow... Or I might not.

This can be frightening in many circumstances. I'm not really sure what's hanging around each corner. I have no clue what will be waiting for me in the morning. I believe in a God who can work miracles. Someone who can do things that I can't. Someone who could, if He truly wanted to, make the sky turn green.

I live in a word that I don't control.

It's kind of scary, isn't it?

I think I sometimes try to get rid of this fear by preparing. I don't know what will happen at my debate tournament, so I research every single case possible, and then get to use two cards of evidence. I don't know what will be on my math test, so I read all my books back to kindergarten, and all I do is multiply monomials. I don't know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow, so I wear pants and a hoodie, and then it ends up being ninety degrees.

Needless to say, physically preparing doesn't really always work. So I've learned to mentally prepare.

Philipians 4:6 says, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

I've learned to offer up all my requests up to God. And to thank Him along with anything. Because without Him, I wouldn't even be alive.

As we go on through life, we never know what'll hit us. We simply have to stand our ground and take whatever we get. It can be difficult. It can be scary. So we must offer our hearts and prayers up to God. Maybe He will give us what we ask for...

And maybe He won't.

I think the mystery of it all can be fun. It's interesting to see what God has in store for us. And even though I don't know exactly what will happen, I know that He is in control, and that whatever does happen will be alright. That I will be spiritually safe. That nothing can permanently hurt me.

I hope you find yourself in a similar mentality. It's rather comforting to know that someone is always with you. And that whatever happens, He will never leave you nor forsake you.

1 comments:

Madi said...

Hey, Brenna.
Great post.
I sometimes wonder what will happen next. I remember thinking one night "Will I wake up?". I honestly freaked myself out.
So, how have you been?
Sorry I haven't commented. Been busy.. Not really. Well, I have to go!

Madi