People often ask me why I do debate. My response is usually "I have no earthly idea." Then they ask me why I do speech. My response is always "So I can stand up for at least five minutes and say 'Be quiet and let me speak.'" Everyone laughs.
It's true, though.
Before I die, I want to stand up. I want to speak. I want to say what is on my heart and mind, what is important, and what no one wants to hear.
This week, I told my friend that what my persuasive is on this year: transparency in the church. His response "I hope you don't expect to make any friends." I couldn't help but smile. Since I was thirteen, I've been doing platform speeches that are written for the express purpose of not making friends. Of course, with the primary purpose of actually saying something worth saying. Do I have as much success as the speeches on abortion and the constitution? No. Do I say something new that nags at a listener until they think about it? I sure hope so.
Now that I'm a sophomore, people are always asking me what I want to do with my life. "Psychologist and writer," I always tell them. And it's true. I want to do both of those. But I never know how to tell anyone my dream because I can't really figure out how to phrase it in words. I just...wish that I could stand up and speak the truth. Our world is so very deprived of truth. Lies are an integral part of our society, and everyone forsakes the beauty of truth.
It's ridiculous. It's like the truth is too good for us, and we need to sugar coat it all in lies. They're easier to digest. They're simpler to live by. Truth takes way too much effort.
I can't even write a blog post without trying to make a point.
I'm just...frustrated. Because I look at the world. And I love the people in it so much. And I think it is beautiful, and has the potential to be even more beautiful. And people hurt and complain and fight and scream and beg for answers. It's right in front of them. I just want to give it to them. I wish I could give them the truth, raw and undiluted.
That's all. Short and simple. I just want to stand up and throw out truth like confetti. Everyone can have it if they're just willing to listen and take it. I want to give it before I see another person cry.
Saturday, October 15, 2011
Who's Gonna Fight for the Weak? [something I’d like to do before I die]
Posted by Brenna at 9:54 PM
Labels: Writing Prompts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment