Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Appalling Attitude

Finally… After two long, tiring days, they were finally going to announce the breaks. I cheered for the Expository breakers, screamed for the people in my club who made it to Extemporaneous out-rounds, and yelled for my friends who passed in Impromptu speaking. Finally, it was time for Open Interpretation breaks. I listened intently as the announcer started saying the names of the people in my club who broke… And only was a little bit disappointed when I didn't hear my name. I didn't expect to break in that, anyway. Then it was time for Duo Interpretations… Once again, I didn't hear my name, but I was able to scream for my club members who made it. And then… Humorous Interpretations. The one event that I thought I had a chance of breaking in. The one that I really wanted to break in.

"And from Veritas…" I could barely even hear the announcer when he announced one of my friend's names. My heart sunk, but I ran off to go congratulate all my club members.

A few hours later, it was time for more breaks. My friends Peter, Jonothan and I made our way over to the steps where we could hear. Now I would know whether or not I had broken in Novice Impromptu or not. After hearing three people breaking in it, the announcer said…

"And from Veritas… Erin-" I screamed at the top of my lungs for her- "Nathan and Matthew"- this was followed by many cheers from my team- "Hannah"- more yells for her, "And… Peter!" I was so excited, I barely even paid attention to the fact that I hadn't broken. I looked beside myself to see Peter staring out with wide eyes. "YES!" He yelled, as he punched the air.

"Oh my gosh, you broke!" I squeaked, barely able to find my voice.

"I know! I gotta go run and get my suit jacket…" Obviously he hadn't been expecting to break…

At eight that night, it was time for the awards ceremony. Now we would know how everyone ranked. As I heard everyone that had broken in Novice Impromptu called up onto the stage, a sharp pain struck through me. I was so proud of my team members, but it hurt not to be up there with them. I tried not to show it, though, and I grinned up at their anticipating faces. They all did very well, and ranked high. It was so exciting to watch them recieve their medals with grins on their faces. Jealousy was the only thing that ruined hte night for me.

Driving home that night at 11 PM, with me in the back seat, having given up trying to read my ballots in the dark, I laid my head on the windowsill, thinking. Surprisingly, I felt tears starting to roll down my cheeks. I don't cry very often, and I couldn't exactly figure out why I was doing it now. But as I thought about the fact that so much of my club had broken, and I had done ditto, I started crying even harder. I didn't let my mom or brother see it, because I was so embarrassed that I was acting like such a jerk. So yeah, maybe I hadn't broken, but this was my FIRST tournament! And look at how much of my club had done! Well that didn't help… Thinking about their accomplishments just made me feel worse. I couldn't understand why I felt so horrible. I'm sure some of it had to do with exhaustion, and post-tournament depression, but I forced myself to stop crying. When I got home that night, and was reading my ballots, the tears came back. I had dragged my Duo partner down, had ranked fifth and below with all my Humorous rooms, and hadn't done very well at all with my Open. As I looked at my Impromptu ballots, I realized with absolute shock that I had ranked first on one of them, and third on another. I almost killed myself for ranking fifth and below on my last. If I had ranked third or higher, than I would have made it to finals. I pressed the tears back and put my ballots away before they came.

All that hard work had gone to waste. Getting four hours of sleep a night had done nothing for me. I had worked for hours upon end on my speeches, and I hadn't broken on anything. I completely ignored the fact that I was being a selfish brat, and I silently hated myself. And maybe a slight twinge of distaste to the judges…

And now, as I sit in front of my computer writing this, I'm absolutely ashamed at my behavior last night. And I think I owe some apologies.

To my mom and brother- I'm so sorry for treating you guys rudely because of my anger.

To my coach and judges- I'm extremely sorry that I had any hard feelings against you.

And especially to my club mates- Please forgive me for any jealousy towards you. After seeing your Speeches, I know why I didn't break, and why you guys did. You're all absolutely amazing, and I really hope to be half as good as you guys one day.

Congratulations. You WILL go to Nationals!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Brenna, that must have taken a lot of courage to type! I'm happy that you did well in the first two things, and I'm sorry that you didn't break. Remember what God says, He says that "wherever your heart is, there will be your treasure also", and He also says that your reward is in Heaven, where moths can't eat it and thieves can't steal it. So don't be too hard on yourself! I think you did really well! Keep up the good work and glorify God in all you do! Again, I applaud you on your "show of guts" in posting this when it was showing your jealousy. That was a great post. God Bless! TTYL!

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG! †

Brenna said...

Thank you for your message, PD. Yes, it did take some courage, but I'm glad I did. And yes, you're so right about those pieces of scripture. It's those things I'll have to keep in mind when I work so hard, yet don't break. It's one of the most amazing things in the world to see your club members' faces when they break, and I had so much fun at the tournament. I definitely can't wait to the next one- and of course it wouldn't hurt to break in that one. ;)

Maritza said...

Congrats on scoring as high as you did! I'm sure you will do better next year Brenna. Practice makes perfect. Don't feel bad about being so selfish. Everyone has their moments. I'm not saying that it's okay, I'm just saying that you shouldn't trouble yourself about it that much.
Keep practicing Brenna! Practice makes perfect, and I'm sure you'll make it to Nationals sometime
P.S. I love your new background! It's really pretty!

Brenna said...

Thanks for the comment, Maritza. I'm feeling better now... I don't feel jealous any more. I'm just suffering from a little post-tournament depression. =/

I really hope to make it to Nationals one day, but hey, if it's my last year, that's fine. I'd be happy just to make it to state semi-finals, which is the easiest thing. But even if I don't ever break in anything, I have so much fun, and I wouldn't give it up for anything. (:

Thanks! I like the background, too, but it does take a minute to load... >.>

Anonymous said...

Ooo, I love your new header picture thingy at the top of your page!!!! Haha, as you can tell, I'm not quite sure what the official name for that is=P I saw your new profile picture too....I like:)

Olivia

Brenna said...

Haha, I think it is basically called the "Header picture thingy." :D

And thank you. '_'

Anonymous said...

Haha, yeah;)

You're welcome!

Olivia

Anne Marie said...

Neat blog, I'm glad you are Living Your Life 4 HIM!

dreamer426 said...

Hey Brenna!!! This is Katie...I just found your blog.

I really enjoyed this post! Please know that you are by no means alone in your feelings. I have gone through the exact same thing...over and over and over. God has done a lot in my life through speech and debate, and one thing was teaching me true trust in Him, and another was how to lose.

My first year and a half, I didn't break at all. I saw others who hadn't worked even half as hard get the success that I "deserved". It was hard. I cried...a lot. Probably a lot more than I should have. But I came out of it with a couple of lessons that I'll share here. Hopefully you can learn them faster than I did!!!

1) You cannot place winning above God. I know for a while, I was finding my identity, my worth, in how well I was doing at tournaments instead of in God. It took a real mindset change for me to get over that. It is very easy to fall into this mindset...Don't be trapped. You are not a lesser person because you didn't break to semis.

2) There is no disgrace in being where God wants you to be!!!
It doesn't matter if you got last place on every single ballot - there. is. NO. disgrace. PERIOD. Wherever God is calling you to be, whether it be first or last, don't let anyone look down on you. Don't look down on yourself. IF that is where He wants you to be, You can trust Him. And know that there is no disgrace.

3) God's timing is perfect.
It was a long time before I was able to even break, and an even long before God blessed me with a qualifying slot to nationals. But as I look back, He knew best. I was not ready to break or to qualify when I thought I was. I needed to go through a period of learning to trust Him despite the fact that it didn't seem like the best plan. I went through a period of about 4 months where I had to daily surrender. I would start dreaming about qualifying for nationals...and then I would say, "Lord, You know the desires of my heart. You know what I want. But more than that, I want Your plans for me, even if it means that I NEVER qualify for nationals." Later on, that trust became essential when my mom went through a bout with breast cancer. I needed to learn to trust Him despite my circumstances. And in the end, I did gain the desires of my heart. That's not to say that you will...I have friends who competed for years, rarely breaking and never qualifying. I don't know why that is. I don't understand. But I do know that He is in control.

Hopefully this encourages you. It was neat to hear that I'm not the only one who's struggled with those feelings!!!

Brenna said...

Thank you so much for that message, Katie! It's so great to hear from experienced people; to see how they've handled things; to see what they've been through.

Thinking back about the tournament still brings a slight twinge of jealousy, but now, it's mainly extreme happiness for my team members, and... Shame that I acted that way. It's crazy to expect to break at your first tournament, I know, and now I'm further prepared.

The worst part of all is missing the tournament! I can't WAIT for the San Diego open. :D

Once again, thank you so much. This really gave me something to think about. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's been a while since you've posted, Brenna! It's about time;)

Brenna said...

Haha! Actually, I started working on a post yesterday. It should be up today or tomorrow. :D

Anonymous said...

Ok, great! I can't wait to see it!