Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Gee, What An Awesome Birthday Present...

Last night, as soon as I had come home from dinner, my two best friends knocked on my door. The second I opened it, one of them flew into my arms and started shaking. For a moment, I couldn't quite tell if she was crying or laughing, but from the look on the other friend's face, I soon knew it was tears.

I immediately guessed the source of her crying. Her grandpa is eighty, and he hasn't been doing all that great. He's been in and out of the hospital, and he recently came home with very high blood pressure. Apparently, he had gone for a check up last night, and the doctors gave an estimated life span- one to two months.

My friend, Allyse, hadn't been expecting it to be that short at all. But when she learned that his kidneys were shutting down, she knew the doctors were probably correct. I tried to tell her, last night, that doctor's estimates aren't always correct, and that my grandma lived long past her predicted date, but Allyse wouldn't hear it of.

As you can probably tell by now, Allyse is devestated. But of course, there's more.

Allyse's parents were divorced when she was just a baby. She's seeen her dad many times, but she doesn't like him, for reasons I don't feel fit to say. And since she lives with her mom, her brother, and her grandpa, she thinks of him as her dad. Imagine losing your dad to death! It's a horrible thought, isn't it?

And to top it all off, today is her birthday. She turned twelve years old today. I sent her a happy birthday email on her phone, but I could tell that she was much subdued.

What an awesome birthday present, huh?

So anyway, I just wanted to wish Allyse a very happy birthday, and to ask for prayers. That her grandpa's help may improve, and, if it doesn't, that Allyse and her family may find comfort in Christ.

Happy birthday, Allyse!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How Sad! I'll pray... And on her birthday! It's even sadder... My Grandpa is sick with cancer... But he is not as bad as that... I GTG
TTYL

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLYCE! (SP?)

~Madi~

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how your friend feels. That's what happened to me when my grandpa got bone cancer. He accepted last year, about a month or two before he died. I will be praying for her and her family, but especially for her grandpa. I hope he gets well and knows the Lord or comes to know him.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLYCE (sp?)

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG! †

Anonymous said...

That is SO sad:( I'll def. be praying!!!

My Papa had a heart attack a couple months ago and died for 50 minutes. But Jesus preformed a miracle that day. That day wasn't the day he wanted my Papa to die. So he was brought back to life and had some ups and downs, but he is doing WONDERFUL, thanks to the One and Only Healer!!! Now that, is a MIRACULOUS MIRACLE!!!

I'm so sorry that's what you had to hear on your birthday Allyse:( Like I said, I'll def. be praying!!! Happy Birthday Allyse!!!!!

Olivia

Maritza said...

I know how Allsce feels, my Grandma can't get out of her hospital bed, my Grandpa was taken to the hospital in an ambulance on Thursday, and he still hasn't gotten out. I will defiantly be praying.

Madi said...

Hey Brenna!!!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new blog background!
GTG Bye

Brenna said...

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it too, haha!

Olivia