It was supposed to be the best- and last- tournament of the year...
Modesto State Championship Tournament, 2009.
I hadn't qualified, but through a strange course of events, I was going to be debating- for my very first time- in an open track.
I was stoked.
I had planned, prepared, learned, read, researched, met with my partner, and even holepunched evidence. I was pretty much set.
Then we got sick...
The day before we were supposed to leave for the tournament, my family came down with a stomach bug. At about 9:00 that evening, my parents decided that we were going to have to cancel.
As I walked out of the living room, I had to try hard not to cry. This tournament meant so much to me... It was going to be my first time to debate- my last chance this year-, I had put so much work into it, I was going to be able to see my friends for the last time until late this Fall, I was going to be able to see awesome speeches that I'd wanted to see all year, and I was simply going to get that amazing tournament experience.
This was on Monday, and although I still wish very much that I was at the tournament right now, I've rethunk my attitude.
One of the girls in my club does an interpretive speech on the book "The Hiding Place". It's really an amazing speech and she's gotten first place with it at two tournaments. Her speech is from the part of the book where main character Corrie and her sister Betsie find themselves facing difficult times. And when things just can't seem to get any worse, Betsie is still telling Corrie to thank the Lord. Thank the Lord in all circumstances. Yes, even for the fleas. And thinking about this speech made me take a moment to thank the Lord.
Yes, I may not have been able to make it to this tournament, but think of what I've still got going. Five years left of competition- I'll have plenty more tournaments. I'll get to see those friends again. I'll get to debate sooner or later. I'll get to see awesome speeches from next year. Heck, I can even holepunch my heart out next year.
So next time you're really disappointed about something, just remember what Betsie told Corrie. Give thanks in all circumstances...
Even for the fleas.
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Give Thanks In All Circumstances... Even When It's Hard
Posted by Brenna at 9:15 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Aw, I'm really sorry you couldn't go Brenna:( But I'm so happy that this is your attitude about it! Are you guys feeling better now? It can be hard, but I'm so glad that when we feel really disappointed about something, that the Lord is always right there to comfort us and remind us to always give thanks! So 'thanks' for this awesome post and reminder to give thanks in a circumstances!
Wow Brenna, I didn't know how much you would miss by not going to this tournament. You'll either laugh or cry at this (or both, LOL!), but I thought this was just any other tournament! Boy, was I WRONG!! I'm REALLY REALLY sorry that you missed the tournament! This is a really good post (as usual, LOL!), and guess what?! My family has "The Hiding Place" the AUDIO SERIES!! =D It's a GREAT series!! We actually bought it at the CHEA Convention (the homeschoolers one in July)!!
Thanks for another great post! Keep on being yourself, and keep glorifying God with your posts!! :)
~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~
† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †
Heyy Brenna!
Sorry I meant to comment sooner! Great post, as always, I'm very sorry you couldn't attend your speach competition! I can kind of relate with volleyball tournaments! Also, your the fan of the month for April, so if you want to check that out on my site, feel free and please do (:
love,
Kaylee
Post a Comment