Sunday, March 15, 2009

That's What Friend's Like That Are For

My family and I just got back from our last Speech and Debate tournament this morning. Tournaments are incredibly fun. Everyone loves them, and hates to see them end. But the main reason we all love them so much is the friends.

Days are long- around 15 hours- and you're with your friends the whole time. Laughing hysterically, congratulating each other on exceptionally good rounds or breaks, comforting friends when they don't break, and just plain being together. At least 50% of the tournament depends on people's attitudes towards each other, so it really stinks when you see a case of bad sportsmanship or arrogance. I've experienced both at tournaments.

My brother and his partner debated against a pretty good team on Thursday evening. (Which later lost against a team from my club) However, the team almost lost because of bad sportsmanship. I don't feel the right to disclose exactly what they were doing, but I know that the judge was not happy with what they did, and gave them a talking-to. The even apologized to my mom. It's really horrible to see people acting so rudely. They seem to forget that it's not winning that matters- it's having the experience, having fun, doing the best you can, and glorifying God in whatever you say. That team could have lost that round due to their poor sportsmanship.


Arrogance is also a big issue. I've timed more than one debate round where certain people seemed to think that they- and only they- knew what they were talking about. It's because of this that many people lose rounds, even if they were really good. A judge doesn't like an arrogant debater or "speecher". They want people with talent, yet humbleness.

The fellowship is really amazing at these tournaments. You're becoming friends with people from all over the country. You're meeting up with them all on Facebook. You can't wait for tournament season because you just can't wait to see... That one really nice girl you met last year...! The people are so friendly, and so supportive. Screaming for people they've never even met; putting aside the fact that they personally didn't make it to finals, and cheering for their friends who did; supporting those who don't break at all; helping the novices that are hopelessly lost... They all want the best for everyone, and if it weren't for the people, I'd probably be out of Speech club pretty soon.

If you have any interest in public speaking, I'd greatly encourage you to check out ncfca.org. Not only is the speaking and education incredible, but the friends are beyond amazing. I can assure you that you won't regret it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm glad you had an awesome time, Brenna! I'm so glad that was your attitude throughout the whole thing....I'm sure you set an example for a lot of people! I love your title for this post..."For good times, and bad times, I'll be on your side forevermore! That's what friends are for!"

Madi said...

The speech & Debate your in sound cool Brenna! I still want to see your room!!! We FINALLY Got mine done! And I drawing on one of the walls for a big City Scape Mural! I Put pics on my blog when I get all the people finished! Well I got to go so bye!

P.S. I updated my blog.

Brenna said...

I would, but my room's still not finished! We're waiting until tournament season is over, and then we'll do it. So far, all I have is a new light fixture.

Wow, that sounds awesome! Okay, I'll look forward to the pics!

Anonymous said...

This is a really cool post Brenna! It shows how you've learned from your mistakes, are having a ton more fun, and it shows "a day in the tournament life of Brenna". LOL! I LOVE that song!! Also "BFF" is one of my fav.s!! But I like a lot of pureNRG songs, ecpecially "Like". LOL! TTYL!

PD 14

(P.S. I can't do my ragular sig. because I'm currently in Mexico and this keyboard is different and the letters on most of the keys have worn off!! Please pray for my family because we are witnessing to people here (even though we came because my dad had to sign some papers). TTYL!)

Lydia said...

BRENNNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 Lyd!

Brenna said...

Wow... Didn't take me a very long time to figure out who THAT comment was from! ;-P

Lydia said...

LOL.. *hugs* i miss you.. i got grounded.. that's ok though.. i was spending too much time on there.. lol.. you have fb right? msg me sometime.. love you girly.

lyd