Thursday, November 26, 2009

Every Breath I Take

When I woke up today, I immediately took a breath. I then rolled over in my soft, comfortable bed. I then got up and put my feet on warm, solid ground. Then I looked at my amazing mother getting my awesome little brother out of bed. Then I came out here, into the den, and sat down at my computer.

I can just stop right there.

Look at all those blessings.

Bed, floor, family, computer- air to breathe. Even without naming off every single object in my room, hallway, entryway, and den (all of which I passed through to get to my computer), you can already see that I have been showered with so many gifts.

And that is how incredible God is. He has given me so much. And why? It's not because I deserve it. I certainly don't. It's not because I did something good to receive them. Absolutely not. It's because He loves me. He molded me into a human being, and then gave me life.

How amazing is that?

But, even with all this, even with everything I can see on my desk right now- CDs, books, my iPod, a phone, notebooks, headphones, pens, folders, my Skillet thing that I don't know what to call- there is still something else that is far greater than these. A gift that I treasure more than all of these things put together.

And that is my salvation. Being accepted into the family of God. God sending His son to die on the cross so that I could be washed clean. So that I made appear pure. So that God forgives every single sin I ever commit, and continues to love me.

The hope that, one day, I will go to Heaven.

I have been given millions and millions of gifts. Just looking back through this post will show you that I am incredibly blessed by God. But what do I do about this? Do I sit down and devote my life to worshiping Him? Do I always say thank you?

No.

I take it all for granted. Every breath I breathe... Well, it's nothing special. I never just stop to thank God for giving me life. Eternal, and physical.

And today... I just want to take it to thank God for everything. For all the objects I own. For ever piece of food I eat. For every drop of water I drink. For my speech and debate club, for church, for a house. For my friends. For my family. For everything else.

And for every single breath I take... Until the day I die.

Thank You, Lord.

And no matter what I do, He has promised to provide for me.
On the road to faithfulness
I sometimes forget Your name
But I can still see Your face
And time after time
I hear You calling my name

I gotta name for me
I am the promise maker
I am the promise breaker

On my knees for the last time
I could rip my heart out every day
I made my last promise to You
Yeah I could cry, I could cry a million tears a day
And all I would hear You say is

You are the promise taker
You are the promise taker
You are the promise taker
You put them in your promise blender


[Happy Thanksgiving]

2 comments:

Ricky said...

Wow, that's definitely convicting. I'm getting better about thanking God, but I'm always focusing on the big things, like salvation and trials and the natural gift of writing he has given me. I tend to forget the little things... like this laptop, for instance, or sleep... Very good post here. Thanks!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Madi said...

Good post, Brenna.
That got me thinking like your last post. I'm not thanking Him enough.
I'm just walking around all sad because most people hate me in my town. When I should be thanking God.
For giving me Life.
For giving me Family.
For giving me Everything.
But also for giving me Jesus.
I would be a different person if I wasn't a Christian.
Times are tough. For everybody.
And I'm thinking it's just me.
Thanks for posting, Brenna. :)
Happy Thanksgiving!
~Madi