If you haven't heard the song "Lucy" by Skillet, and you have gone through the loss of someone dear to you, I suggest you go listen to it. Right now.
Anyway, this is probably my second (if not first) favorite song ever, and I couldn't resist from doing a full telling of how it relates in my life.
Now, in certain posts I've made, I've quoted this song. A lot. It has gorgeous lyrics- I can't help myself. But I've never done one of my line-by-lines on it. So here you go.
Hey Lucy, I remember your name
Honestly, I can stop right there. Almost every time I quote this song, advertently or not, I will replace "Lucy" for "Katherine." The name of my sister. I can't hear the word "Katherine" without thinking of her. Remembering her.
I left a dozen roses on your grave today
I'm in the grass, on my knees, wipe the leaves away
I've never been able to literally do this since my sister was cremated. But I'd say I've done it physically by simply thinking about her. I've mentally done it. It will have to do.
I just came to talk for a while
Got some things I need to say
So often, more than anything, I just wish I could talk to her.
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
Something I never got to do: hold my sister. I was hardly even able to touch Katherine until she was dead. She was covered in wires and cords, and was so wrapped in bed that we could barely see her.
I'd give up all the world to see
That little piece of heaven looking back at me
I think this is self-explanatory. More than anything, we just want to see the dear people who have been taken away from us.
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I've gotta live with the choices I made
And I can't live with myself today
This last bit applies in so many ways. Whenever something goes wrong, I automatically feel like I was the cause. And I always feel like I could have done better. Maybe, with less complaining, I would have been able to see my sister more. Maybe, if I had more mature, it would have been easier to stay at the hospital longer. And maybe, just maybe, if I prayed harder, she would have lived.
Thoughts like this can often be irrational. But you still feel guilt, even though you know you shouldn't.
Hey Lucy, I remembered your birthday
September 17th is Katherine's birthday. It's also one of the most difficult, memorable days of the year.
They said it'd bring some closure to say your name
"They" hardly ever know the right thing to do. But sometimes, it really can help to just... say their name...
I know I'd do it all different if I had the chance
This ties into the last part of the chorus. We all want to change what we've done... But we can't.
But all I got are these roses to give
And they can't help me make amends
All we can offer to the people that are dead are roses on their graves. But the can't fix the wrongs we've done; the hurts we've committed.
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I'd give up all the world to see
That little piece of heaven looking back at me
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I've gotta live with the choices I made
And I can't live with myself today
Here we are, now you're in my arms
I never wanted anything so bad
And here, I enter into a dream. A wonderful, beautiful dream where I have her back, right with me.
Here we are, for a brand new start
Living the life that we could've had
And I can fix everything. I can do what I should have done in the first place. I can make amends.
Me and Lucy walking hand in hand
Me and Lucy never wanna end
In my dream, Katherine never leaves me.
Just another moment in your eyes
But in real life, she has.
I'll see you in another life
In Heaven, where we never say goodbye
Do I have to worry about this? No. I know that, someday, I will see her again. In Heaven. And there, I won't ever have to say "goodbye." Because we'll be there together- forever.
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I'd give up all the world to see
That little piece of heaven looking back at me
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I've gotta live with the choices I made
And I can't live with myself today
I miss her. I'm still sad about the things I've done wrong.
Here we are, now you're in my arms
I never wanted anything so bad
Here we are, for a brand new start
Living the life that we could've had
Me and Lucy walking hand in hand
Me and Lucy never wanna end
Just another moment in your eyes
I'll see you in another life
In Heaven, where we never say goodbye
So I live in my dreams, just waiting for the day when I'll see her again.
Hey Lucy, I remember your name
We never forget the ones we love.
Now this might sound like a really, really depressing song. It might even seem like a depressing post. But it's not for me. Because I have hope. I know that I will see Katherine in Heaven someday. I don't have to mourn because I know that death by separation is only temporary Christians.
I've said it before- I'm not a happy, always smiling, never sad person. I have a share of sorrows. But it never sticks. I have hope. And I can't imagine how people who aren't Christians feel when they lose someone close to me. It must be really tough. They don't have hope.
Anyway, this was kind of a personal rant. Maybe it provided you with hope. I think I might try to post fairly frequently with some sort of hope messages. We'll see.
Hey Katherine, I remember your name

3 comments:
Hey, Brenna.
I liked this post.
At first, I was sad. But then when you started talking about how Christians will always see the people they love again one day.
I always, always think of my grandpa. And I know I'll see him again one day, but I miss him.
Oh, I have to go now.
Goodbye!
Madi
Wow, reading this post, and then reading the post where you described your sister's death, I've got a lump in my throat. Powerful.
However, I would like to gently correct something: "maybe with less complaining", "if I had been more mature", "if I had prayed harder"... I understand the mentality, having dealt with it when my mother had a miscarriage eighteen months ago, and I can say with certainty that it's wrong. It is false guilt. God didn't take Katherine home because of anything you or anyone else did. He took her home because He loved her, and because He knew you and your family could handle this in the strength He provides (1 Cor. 10:13- "temptation" and "trial" are the same Greek word), and because He intended/intends for you to become stronger through it by leaning on Him. (2 Cor. 1:3-5) Have confidence in that, and don't allow yourself to think for a moment that you had any part in this. That's a weight you shouldn't be carrying for any amount of time.
Yes, someday you will see her again, in heaven. That's an exhilarating thought, isn't it? :)
Yes, Ricky, thank you for that. I tried to clarify in my post that I do understand guilt like this is false and irrational- but we feel it anyway. It still hurts, and you still feel like you could have done something.
Either way, the hope of seeing my sister- and all of those I've loved and lost- again someday is so great and lovely, it overpowers any guilt I continue to have.
Post a Comment