Thursday, December 31, 2009

So We Must Be The Change

No, that was not a reference to our president.


It was, essentially, my New Year's Resolution.

But there's no way I'm explaining it that simply and easily. I need to first talk about this past year.

2009 was, without a doubt, the best year. Ever. Partially because seventh grade was the best school year, but there were other reasons.

For one, joining speech and debate changed my life so much. It's amazing. I am a much different person because of it- and definitely for the better. I'm happier, I occupy my time in a more productive way, and probably a lot smarter. I have friends who truly care about me and have helped me through a LOT. [And some will never know who they are, of course.]

And all of these benefits reach into my online school. Especially the friends. It's amazing how I know so many people that I've never met in person, yet am best friends with. And hey, how cool is it that some of them live in Asia, Africa, and South America?

And so many other things. Starting English class has really helped me academically. Participating in NaNoWriMo made my writing excel. Dealing with emotional struggles was hard at the time, but in the end benefited me a lot. I grew closer to my family. I began to value my new friendships a lot more. I became so much more interested in theology, and am now able to defend my beliefs better.

I could go on and on for pages to describe how wonderful 2009 has been, and how much it prepared me for further life. But there wouldn't be a whole lot of point to that. Bottom line- I was very blessed this year. Now, I would like to turn the attention of this post to this year's resolution.

I wanted to become a "Friend Like That." I derived this term from a Hawk Nelson song. (Something I will never forgive myself for.)

Hey let me hear ya say
Make some noise if you feel this way
Hey if you got a friend like that
Hey let's scream and shout
If you know what I'm talkin' `bout
Anybody got a friend like that?

If you really want to know what it was all about in great detail, I made a big post about it last year. But essentially, I wanted to become a better friend. I wanted to be a better person. And, heh, I wanted to actually do it. Not forget about it by February.

So? Did I manage to do it? I think I can safely say yes. I think that I did, in many ways, become a better friend. Of course, I'm not a perfect friend. There's no way I could be. But I think I've improved.

At least I hope I have.
You tell me.

Anyway, getting back to this next year's resolution.

This is more of a combination of everything I try to do: I try to change the world. I try to change people. I try to make the land we walk a better, happier place. And I believe that I have to do it if I want to see any difference.

Of course, unlike our president, I don't plan on changing anything political, economical, or any of that good stuff. And I hope to actually change things for the better.

But enough of my bias.

This is something that I hope to carry out over years to come. I will narrow it down and focus on one aspect every year. This particular year, I want to work on spreading hope. I want to be able to reach into peoples' lives and give them reason to live. Give them a reason to stay on this earth, continuing to live.

Now, of course, this is a broad scope. I want to help children, teenagers, and adults alike. Being a teen myself, that's my most passionate focus, but I'm not being exclusive. I desire to help everyone through life.

It's what I feel called to do.

I enter into 2010 with hope in my own heart. I believe that I can make an impact on the world; if not this year, over my lifetime. Whether it be through music, books, spoken words, or simple actions. I think I can do something. And I can't wait to see what it is.

I know that God will shower me with even more numerous blessings this coming year. I know that I will also have my fair share of trials that I have to keep up my own hope through.

But most of all, I know that He will keep me and protect me.

And that's why I know I can make it.

Happy New Year, everyone- 2010- a year of hope.

"We represent a generation that wants to turn back a nation- to let love be our light and salvation."



[Yes, I did post this an hour early because I was becoming impatient.]

3 comments:

Brenna said...

The HTML got really messed up on that post.
Starting off the new year with a bout of technological idiocy. Woohoo.

Madi said...

Happy new year!
:)
I liked your post, Brenna.
It was cool.
Well, I have to go.
Talk to ya later.
~Madi

Anonymous said...

I could not tell it was a 13 year old seventh (eighth?) grader that wrote your post.

You have great maturity and wisdom. I have zero doubt that God will use you greatly even now and in the future; God asks us to turn to Him wholeheartedly so that He may use us for His glory and your post shows that you have done just that.

Dominus Vobiscum.