Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mom and Dad and Sister and Brother

Normally, at times like this- on a holiday such as now- I will log on to my blog and write something cute with an inspirational message for you to walk away with.

However, on this Christmas Eve, on December 24th of the year 2009, I find myself with absolutely nothing to say that will allow you to go to bed tonight feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. But I know there has got to be something I can bring before you. So, as I write, hopefully it will become apparent to the both of us.

I spent the largest part of the day with my family. I talked to one of my best friends (I know you're reading this, Erin <3) on the phone for about an hour, then took a shower. I then read a little bit of a book I just bought myself with a Borders gift card I received, enjoyed that very much, and then called my grandmother. We exchanged gifts, we laughed, we were happy. My dad came home from work, and my family went out to lunch. Afterwards, we drove the cemetery where my great grandmother is buried to see her newly placed stone, and to stand in the peacefulness together. A strangely long drive (I think my parents were taking the city streets and driving through their old neighborhoods to experience nostalgia... I was just listening to my music and reading the aforementioned book) and dinner followed soon afterwards. And finally, after dinner, we saw A Christmas Carol (Insanely creepy movie, by the way.)

And now, my little brother lies in bed, dreaming of the train set he is convinced he will open tomorrow morning. (He's getting two) My older brother and parents carry on in their regular activities. And I, obviously, sit here writing to you.

It's been an interesting Christmas season. This is the first one I've spent with out my great grandmother (In the flesh, that is), which, of course, turned everything around. We always do something with her, and spent today rather... Un-traditionally. I expected it to be unpleasant. However, it was not. It was nice. It was rather relaxing to just pad around with my family.

I realized something today that I don't think I've ever fully taken into account before: My family is such a huge blessing to me. I am so glad that God has given me a well, put-together immediate family that has no sign or chance of breaking apart. We all love each other so much. It just makes me really happy that I can enjoy this. So many other families suffer. They've been destroyed. And it makes me sad. Some of my very own friends live in broken families. It's awful that someone has to live with out one, or both of their parents. To be parted from their siblings, granted they have any. Such a small thing that I often take for granted... Is one of my most highly valued possessions.

So yeah. That's what I have for you. Family. It's important. It can turn a bleak looking Christmas into a merry one. It made mine much happier than I expected.

And to close off an overly cheerful post with an entirely cheesy saying...

Don't forget the Reason for the Season!

Seriously. Do not forget that it is Jesus' birth that gives us all a reason to smile and celebrate every December. You've heard it time and time again, but remember that this is a holiday to praise Him. Not for our own, gluttonous, greedy, present-opening selves.

Joyeux Noël, mes amis!

Joy to the World
The Lord is come
Let Earth receive her King!
Let every heart
Prepare him room
And Heaven and Nature sing
And Heaven and Nature sing
And Heaven, Heaven, and Nature sing!

0 comments: