Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Are You Drowning In Your Imperfection?

We're all imperfect.

No, seriously.

I'm not afraid to admit it. We're all imperfect humans, who can never live up to what other humans want us to be. Moreover, we can never live up to Christ. However, this is no excuse. We should be striving to be like Him every day, as much as we possibly can. Although we know we'll never be exactly like Christ, we can get very close. (Okay, no, not even very close. But we can all improve.)

So it's time for a song evaluation: "Imperfection" by Skillet.

When I first heard this song, I simply thought it was talking about how our physical appearances can never be what everyone wants them to be. Like how we can't all look like we just jumped off the cover of a magazine. But when I listened to it further, I started to understand a little bit more.

"You're worth so much
It'll never be enough
To see what you have to give"

Let's just stop it right there. You're worth so much. To see what you have to give. It sounds as if the song is speaking to someone with a low self-esteem, possibly. Someone who doesn't understand that they have been created in the image of God, and that they're not inferior to anyone.

"How beautiful you are
You seem so far
From everything you're wanting to be
Wanting to be"

Here's where the whole physical appearance issue really kicks in. They simply don't see that they are where they should be. Perhaps their expectations are simply ridiculous.

"Tears falling down again
Tears falling down..."

As they cry out, it seems as if no one can heal their mental wounds.

"You fall to your knees
You beg, you plead
Can I be somebody else
For all the times I hate myself?
Your failures devour your heart
In every hour, you're drowning
In your imperfection"

This person hates every inch of themselves. All their failures are telling them that they can't do anything right. All they want is to be someone else; someone who can succeed. Little do they know all they're accomplishing.

"You're worth so much
That heaven would touch
The face of humankind for you"

This verse has always confused me a little bit. I'm actually not really sure what to think of it. Any ideas?

"How special you are
Revel in your day
You're fearfully and wonderfully made
You're wonderfully made"

Haha. Wow. This verse pretty much throws the meaning of the song right in our faces. No matter how tiny, unimportant, and worthless we think we are, we should know that we were created in the image of God! That we are fearfully and wonderfully made. Made to serve, love, and give.

"Tears falling down again
Come let the healing begin..."

Be healed from the poison that has penetrated your skin!

You fall to your knees
You beg, you plead
Can I be somebody else
For all the times I hate myself?
Your failures devour your heart
In every hour, you're drowning
In your imperfection


"You're worth so much
So easily crushed
Wanna be like everyone else"

This poor person just wants to fit in. They want to feel wanted. They want to feel accepted. They want to feel like something.

"No one escapes
Every breath we take
Dealing with our own skeletons, skeletons"

If we keep telling ourselves that we're worth nothing, we'll never escape. We'll always have this feeling with us, and soon enough, it will destroy is. This feeling is the cause of so much depression, self injury, and even suicide. We have to learn while we're ahead that we are worth something! God made us all for a reason!

You fall to your knees
You beg, you plead
Can I be somebody else
For all the times I hate myself?
Your failures devour your heart
In every hour, you're drowning
In your imperfection


"Won't you believe, yeah
Won't you believe, yeah
All the things I see in you"

This person can't see what they're worth. But the singer (and a whole lot of other people) can. We can see what that person's life is for. We know that there's something to it; more than they'll ever see.

"You're not the only one
You're not the only one
Drowning in imperfection"

They're not alone in these thoughts. So many people suffer from the poison of low self esteem, and not seeing what we're here for; I being one of them.

The song sends chills up my spine. It makes me want to cry, thinking about how deeply people feel this hurt. Much more than I do, I'm sure. To feel like there's absolutely no point to living... It has to be harsh.

There's my thoughts. Here's what John Cooper (lead singer of Skillet) has to say about the song (I just found this a couple seconds ago... I did not read it before my evaluation. ;]):

"It's written for those people that just feel that they're worthless and never going to amount to anything and maybe they were a mistake, they're not who they want to be and they hate themselves. It's kind of like written towards a friend actually, you know, someone who you know that you can see all the really good things in them but they can't seem them... they think that they're the only ones struggling with their humanity and Imperfection is a song saying that everybody feels that way but you do have so much to offer and so much to give the world, so much love to share. You know, you need to be who you really are, don't worry about these things."

Sounds like I was pretty close; it's about feeling worthless. About not knowing that there is a purpose for all of us.

For all of you out there with low- or no- self esteem. For all of you out there who think you're worthless. For all of you out there who think there's no point to living. You are worth something. I love you, I think you're beautiful, and I know there's a point to your life. Never forget that you're here for a reason.

And that you're not the only one drowning in your imperfection.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenna, I really did read your blog post and I thought that it was wonderful. I am not being sarcastic either and it is very tuching...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(')__(')
Dont you love my signature that I made up!!! I got really bored! and I thought that it was cute. I love blogs but my mom wont allow me to get one I dont understand why... but you should have herd her she was like to me getting a FB... So this is how it went I was like did you think about it and then my mom was just like dont bug me about it or I will say no permently... so after that I just dectited that it would be best if I had kept my mouth shut and hope and pray that she lets me get one!!!!! I would go on it everyday and chat and everything with all of my friends and maybe say hi to some of urs... XD so... still baby sitting I see... well I herd form you and I'm really bored and just looking out my window typing random stuff... XD so I really hope that she says yes to getting a FB because I really want one!!! Like I could die for one well not actually but you know what I mean... XD okay well I guess Ill see you when you come over to work on the story!! ^_^

Brenna said...

...

You are one of the funniest, most awesomest people in the whole wide world. xD

See you in a little while. :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenna! As always, great post! =D I love these song evaluations! ;D I think I know what these verses mean:

"You're worth so much
That heaven would touch
The face of humankind for you"

I think it's talking about John 3:16 (my fav. verse), how Jesus loved us enough to "touch the face of humankind (he became flesh/man) for you". Jesus came and became man to die for us, all for us. Thanks a lot for the great encouraging words. :) I'm starting to restrain myself from being a stumbling block, to myself. I found that I really am my worst enemy like in Cadia's song (sorry I can't remember what it's called). TTYL and thanks or the post! =D

~Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Thanks so much, PD!

And you know what, I think you're right about that verse... Thank you!

I know you've struggled with low self-esteem in your past, and am still praying for you about it. I hope this song and post can reach out to you, and tell you that you are worth something!

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dr.Brenn! ;D

You're very welcome! =D I'm glad I could help!

Thanks a million for the post! And thank you so much for praying for me! I pray for you too! =D I love ya too Sister! ;D God Bless and thanks again!

Please pray for my mom and my sister's eyes. My sister accidentally put a solution for her contacts that you're supposed to wait for 6 hrs. before putting on. She put it into her case, and my mom's. Their eyes are REALLY red, and really bad stuff can happen to their eyes, so please pray!

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Oh no- definitely praying for that, too!! I hope they're okay. =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! My sister's eyes are looking a lot better, praise God! My mom's eyes are also improving. I was SO SCARED and so were they! The label said "Eye damage" and "blindness" could occur!! But their eyes went from blood red to pinkish. My sister's eyes are white now, normal. But my mom's eyes get red a lot of the time, so we think it might affect her more. :( Please pray, because it will cost $40-$60 for a check up for her! We can't afford health insurance anymore AHH!! Please pray! Thanks a lot, you're a great friend!

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to ask! I know you said you can't go to CHEA, but does that mean you're not going at all? Or can you not go to the Teen Convention? Because you might be able to buy a pass for Exhibit Hall (the big place with lots of cool stuff to buy). Please tell me if you're not going at all. TTYL!

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Okay, DEFINITELY praying!! I really hope your mom's eyes feel better.

And no, I'm not going at all. =/ My brother's leaving for something called Worldview Academy next week, and we're super busy, so we just don't have the time. Hopefully next year!

Candice said...

"When I first heard this song, I simply thought it was talking about how our physical appearances can never be what everyone wants them to be."

Wow girl, that was awesome! :D This is one of my favorite Skillet songs; you totally challenged me to think about it much deeper than I have in the past. I've always thought like you said. Just took it for face value. I love that songs like this can have such a powerful double meaning. Amazing post! :)

Brenna said...

Aww, thanks, Candice! I didn't even know you read my blog. :D

Madi said...

Hey Brenna, Sorry I didn't comment sooner. Great post! That's something that kinda happened to me. Except a little difference in there. My old friends (They used to be my friends... now they started to attack me) made me feel worthless. My mom new about the whole fight we were in and they were calling me a lier and so were there moms. My mom didn't know it was this bad until I walked in the room and asked 'What is wrong with me?' and started to cry cause it hurt so much what they were doing to me. Every E-mail was an attack, a name calling, etc. A couple days later my mom blocked them from my E-mail, Blog and I'm not allowed to answer the phone. 'Cause they are out to get me for some reason.
I haven't talked to them for 2 weeks, I think. I feel way better after reading your post!
Well, I have to go!
~Peenkee

Brenna said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry that happened to you, Madi! I'm definitely praying for you. It really stinks when friends start to teach you bad for no reason that you can see. I'm glad my post helped. =)

Olivia said...

I don't think I've told you this yet, but I love the new layout! Haha, ok, I'm done;)

Brenna said...

Haha, thanks, Olivia! :D

Olivia said...

You're welcome=D I always like it when people change their blog design or layout once and awhile! :)