Monday, July 27, 2009

Lord, Send Me...

I'm not going to lie... I just had one of the best weeks of my entire life.

In appreciation for the time and patience we've put forward to our little brother the past month, my amazing parents sent my older brother (Jordan) and me to debate camp. The natural nerds that we are, of course we knew it was going to be awesome. However, I didn't know that it was going to change me for life.

I probably attended about 15 lectures at the camp. Most of them were about debate itself, and our resolution (topic) for this year. But the last one, on Friday mid-morning, given by the coach that was doing a lot to work the camp, was about us as Christians. How we're the only hope for the world. How we've all been given our own mission by God; to reach out into the world, and make a difference.

If you've read any of my other posts, you've probably gathered that I've been working on bringing Christ- and certain messages- into the world for the past year. When I heard this talk, I literally felt like crying. It touched me so much to hear what he said. Allow me to try to relay some if it back to you...

I won't go into extreme detail about the first part, but he spoke about how he had been born with dyslexia and ADD, being told that he would never learn to read, or really succeed at anything. Well... He's the National champion of Parliamentary (college) debate now. As he was talking about this, it was reminding me of myself. I was born with any specific disorders, but had never really been able to succeed at anything. What I had always really wanted to do- performing arts- was way out of the question for me.

Anyway, I forget what the cross-over was, but he began to talk about how God has a purpose for all of us in life. Of course we've heard that before... We're all here for a reason. But for some reason, what he said just really touched me. It tied in with the devotional he had read that morning from Isaiah 6:8- "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, 'Whom shall I send, and who shall go for us?' Then said I, 'Here I am, send me.'"

We all must be willing to accomplish God's plan for us. I'm accepting His challenge for me. I'm not sure what exactly He wants me to do, but once I figure it out, I'm going to fulfill it, or die trying.

When I received my ballots on Saturday, and saw that I had only won two rounds out of six, this naturally saddened me. But, unlike all the speech ballots I've received in the past, I didn't feel depressed for hours. I had done my best, and had fun in the process. I had tried my hardest, and learned a lot. And hopefully, I had served God while doing it. Maybe His intention is for me to be a public speaker that tells people about Christ. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

When I received my first award that night (Second place speaker in the novice track), I wasn't nearly as excited as I thought I would have been. But I think I was happier than I would have been if I was holding a trophy in my hand, instead of a simple piece of paper. Trophies, as was also mentioned some time at the camp, can never fill up your heart. If awards are your life, there's always going to be something missing. You have to make God the center of your life for you to be truly happy.

As I watched all my friends (some new, some old, all incredibly amazing) drive away that night, I thought about what they had taught me. Love, patience, humor, kindness, and even how to share. (I happen to be very forgetful, and left my dinner at home a couple nights...) But even though I love them all dearly, I didn't let them take over my one best Friend. The one that I strive to be like, and serve as much as I can every day. Jesus Christ.

I (hopefully) have many more years left in life. I'm still working on carrying out God's mission for me. I'm still figuring out what He's placed me here for. But I can't wait to do it. I encourage you to be like the verse in Isaiah. When God calls on you, respond to Him, "Send me!" Carry out what He's put you on this Earth to do. Don't let earthly desires take over your heart. When all else fails you, put your hope in our Lord. Do what He has asked you to do.

Lord, send me...

32 comments:

Madi said...

Great post, Brenna!

So kinda like... God is the trophy you should always keep. Kinda like a trophy in your heart. Not just some trophy that you would have on your shelf?
And this also kinda relates to what had happened to me. I had asked my mom "Why am I here? What's wrong with me?" Now I know that there is always a meaning to life.

Well, I have to go! Again, Great post!

Brenna said...

Well, for lots of people who engage in competitive activities, trophies become their life. But no matter how many trophies someone has, it's never going to completely fill their heart. It's a little like the whole "spiritual trophy" thing. Just that you're never going to have a full life unless God is the center of it. There's always going to be something missing otherwise. You need to devote your life to God, and do what he has planned for you.

Madi, I see so much in you. I know God has big plans for your life. :)

Madi said...

Madi, I see so much in you. I know God has big plans for your life. :)
--
Awww, thanks!
Ohhhh... Okay, now I understand! I've never really won a trophy except for in Little league. I have a really random question:

what do you want to be when you grow up? I want to be a designer! I already have maybe... 3 or was it 4.. books filled with designs! LOL

Brenna said...

A writer, most definitely! I'd love to see some of your designs.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I was helping with VBS at my church. Here is a BIG prayer request for you all, please pray:

A girl and a guy had a baby without getting married first. The woman was "with child" when my family first met her at church and made friends with her. The guy and girl lived with each other for a few years. The baby was born, beautiful and tiny. I was at the hospital when that angel was born. I remember praying for her silently. Now the guy is not taking his place as head of household, and the lady is tired of it. She is a friend of the family, and the baby just turned 1 year old the first week of July. She's moving to Texas (where her mom lives) and taking the baby. The guys isn't stopping her. My family went to her house and gave them gifts. They're leaving tomorrow. Please pray for conviction on the man's heart. PLEASE, please pray! Think of the poor, innocent baby girl. He didn't even touch the baby or lady when we went to her house and helped her by giving her a suitcase and taking care of the baby while she packed. He can stop her at any moment, but her chooses not to. And he calls himself a Christian. The lady is a Christian and thinks this is the best thing to do. The guy has had many chances, which he has ignored. They even got counselling and were going to get married in a few months, but the guy isn't there for his family. I G2G now, but please pray. Thanks, and God Bless.

(P.S.: I will post about your post l8er, I G2G right now and HAD to post this request, sorry!)

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Oh my, PD, I'm most definitely praying!! Thank you so much for sharing. They are all certainly in my thoughts.

Madi said...

OMGGG, Pink Dolphin!
I'll pray!

(Oh and Brenna, I wanted to give you an update on my mom. She is doing a lot better! She got out of the hospital 2 weeks ago! Sorry I'm so late! :/ Well, I G2G! Oh, And, I updated my blog! Bye!)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Brenna & Penkee! It really means a lot to me that you guys are willing to take time out of your day to pray for a family you don't know, because they are going through rough times. The lady is a Christian, but I guess the guy's a hippocrite (sp?!) because he claims to be a Christian. He is such a jerk. The lady and her baby are leaving today, at night. :,( My folks also didn't take me to church bcuz that guy's there and I REALLY WANTED TO GO!! :,( This is probably the WORST SUNDAY OF MY LIFE.


~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Anonymous said...

Guess what?! First off, I got to go to the second service at my church! My Dad dropped me off. I cried, but one of my true friends took me to the girl's bathroom. I told her everything, and she comforted me and was really nice. She even gave me a hug about 3 times, and I really needed it.
The second thing is really important! =D :

Thanks so much for your prayers! The guy told the girl that he didn't want her and the baby to leave! They're going to the courthouse 2morrow to get the paperwork so they can get MARRIED!! =D Thanks so much for your prayers, God is good! Hallelujah! He answered my prayer, your prayers, and my fast! =D He is SO GRACIOUS!!

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Madi said...

Pray, please!
My mom needed to go to the ER again! So please, please pray! She was Shaking and Her back hurt so bad. She couldn't breathe in cause is hurt so much... She is feeling a lot better but I still want you to pray!
Well, I G2G!
Bye!

Brenna said...

PD: Oh my goodness, that's amazing!! I'm so glad! God really is awesome, isn't he?

Madi: Ohhh, I'm so sorry for your mom! :( I'm definitely praying.

Anonymous said...

Brenna: Thanks! He is TOTALLY awesome! ;D

Penkee (Mind if I call you Madi, like Brenna does?): I don't know if you were only talking to Brenna, but I want you to know that I will be praying for your mother also. That sounds really hard for you! I'll be praying for you & your family! =D Are you a Believe (do you believe Jesus died for you & have you confessed your sins)? :)

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Madi said...

PD: Oh my goodness! That's Totally awesome!!! Oh and yes. I am a beleiver. I beleive Jesus died on the cross and everything.

GOOD NEWS:
My Best Friend Sarah (Who is not a christian) wants to go to church with us!! When I'm over at her house I talk about God. She used to say the Lord's name in vain but she stopped. And now she wants to go to church and everything! Oh my gosh, this is awesome!

Anonymous said...

That's amazing, Madi! =D I'll definitely pray for your friend! I hope you start seeing more changes in her as she goes to church. Also, a word of advice: your friend will probably start asking you a lot of questions about God, so if you don't read the Bible very often, you should start reading it, especially the Gospels, and Romans. You should look up (or ask your Youth Pastor) what the "Romans Road" is. It has a whole bunch of verses in Romans that tell a person how to be saved. =D

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Anonymous said...

Madi: Can you please help me? I just created my own G-mail account, and I want to post using it, but I can't use my real name, like Brenna does, for security reasons. How can I get my nickname, Pink Dolphin 14, set as my username? If I would post with my real name, I would get in a TON of trouble!

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Madi said...

PD: Umm... how did you put your name on your Gmail? Cause if it's your real name you won't be able to comment without you real name showing up.
Well, I G2G!

Bye!

xXxScarlet_JadexXx said...

I think I got it, but please tell me if you can see my real name or address, because if you do I will be in a ton of trouble and I NEED TO CHANGE IT if it shows personal info. PLEASE don't post this comment if it shows personal info., Brenna! I G2G, but I'll check back l8er to see your response (unless you're speechless, LOL! ;D).

~ Pink Dolphin 14 ~

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Looks like you figured it out. :)

xXxScarlet_JadexXx said...

Thanks Brenna! =D It only took me over an hour! =P LOL! But I didnt't give up. Now I need to find out how to get a pic. on it, I put a pureNRG pic., but I guess I have to find out how to get it on. So, how R U?

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Madi said...

Looks like ya got it all figured out, PD!
I updated my blog, Brenna, so you can go check it out if ya want!
Well, I g2g!!
Bye!

xXxScarlet_JadexXx said...

Brenna: Random Q- Your last name wouldn't happen to be Rawson, would it?

Brenna & Madi: Yeah, I have! =D Thanks! Can you pray for me? I'm just getting over a fever of 102˚. Last night was really bad, I was burning up. But today I'm A LOT better, I just want to keep getting better. :)

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

xXxScarlet_JadexXx said...

It's not Steele either is it? LOL! Sorry, it's just that I'm starting on-line classes and there are two Brennas that are going to be in my classes and I wanted to know if you were either of them.

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Haha, no, neither of those are my last name... What are you taking classes through?

And I'll be praying for you! Hope you're feeling better.

xXxScarlet_JadexXx said...

Thanks! My fever is gone (THANK GOD!), but I have sore throat. I'm taking classes through BJU (Bob Jones University). This is their first year doing the classes on-line though. B4 it was through buying DVDs, now the DVDs are on-line and you can chat with other students! It's really cool!

How R U, Madi & Brenna?

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! And that's sweet you're taking classes through BJU. My French book (And I take French classes online) comes from there.

I'm doing great. You?

xXxScarlet_JadexXx said...

Really?! Cool! =D

I'm doing O.K. I slept on the couch yesterday (I couldn't fall asleep on the bed) and I only got 6 hrs. of sleep and I'm "bright eyed and bushy tailed". My mom wants me to sleep cuz there's lots of fun events I was to go to this weekend.

Random Q: How long have you been blogging for?

† GOD BLESS pureNRG!! †

Brenna said...

Ah, well, I hope you're doing well enough to go to those events!

I've been blogging for a little over a year now... I think I started last June.

Madi said...

Sorry I did such a L.A.T.E. comment!! I've been busy this week!

Request: My mom. Today she dropped on the floor her kidney hurt so bad. Please just pray that she won't have to go to the Hospital again!

PD: I'm doing fine! I'm sad & worried about my mom. But other than that, I'm doing great! @(^-^)@

Brenna: LOL, brenna, your blog has all these comments and mine have 1. 27 on yours. LOL. Now 28! How is your Summer been?

PD (Again) That random question thing... Was it to me and Brenna? If it was to me too then I've been blogging for 2 1/2 years now! Well, G2g help with dinner! Bye!

Anonymous said...

Update on my mom:

She is doing better everyday. She has passed out a couple of times but she has stopped. She and my dad are on their way to the hospital right now. She has to see if her kidney is damaged. Here is what she had:

Kidney infection
Gall stones
Sepsis

Well, I have to go! Bye!

~Madi

Brenna said...

Thanks for the update, Madi... Still praying!

Madi said...

Hey, Brenna!
So, anything new happen lately?
Nothing much for us...
My mom is doing WAY better.
I'm really tired. I have been waiting and waiting for my best friend to call.. I've only talked to her for like 10 minutes all week. O.o
We saw 17again. It was great! You should see it.
Well, I have to go.
Bye!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Brenna! This is so awesome! I love how well you reminded us of this important lesson. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you as well. =]
- Love ya, Dear!